Today while I was picking berries I couldn't help but ponder about the vicissitudes of life. It usually happens to me when I'm doing yard work of any kind. I applied for a design job recently and I called about it today and they informed me they offered it to someone else. There's not many design jobs in Logan and this one paid over 40K so I was hoping to get it. I should've realized they were probably looking for someone who'd actually graduated college and maybe had some real world experience. But still, I found thoughts like, "I didn't even get called in for an interview... what's wrong with me?... I suck at design...maybe I should've been a math teacher like my dad said." And then, as I usually do, I didn't think about it again until the berry picking. I realized that if life were easy then none of us would have any reason to work for something and get better. When I came back from the world of religion in Ireland I felt the same way as I do today. Suddenly it seemed like everyone was so much better than I was...like the creative design minds of the world all got rocket-packs and exploded forward and I got stuck in their mediocre, well-trodden path. I realized today that during my Ireland era, the economy sank and everyone had to fight for their place in the world. All the designers who had been comfortably loafing around suddenly had to fight for their jobs by being better and becoming indispensable. No wonder the world exploded. That's what happens when we're forced to stretch. When I realized last week that I probably wasn't getting the job, I started digging into any resources I had about better design. Tutorials, images, fonts, everything that was good. So, nothing has changed on the outside, but a little humility softened me up to absorb something useful on the inside. And in the meantime, the blackberries are emerging and some of them, I dare say, might get as big as my fist.
What an inspiring post! I think you're an amazing graphic design artist : ). I also think I need to come to your house and pick berries. Do you have any other garden produce? Our garden ended up pretty darn pathetic. I miss you! I will try and call today!
ReplyDeleteAddie LOVES, LOVES, LOVES picking berries. She can do it for hours. Call us if you need a berry picker. Free labor except for the berries she will eat while picking. That number may be a little high. See you tomorow!
ReplyDeleteYou should go back to that job that didn't hire you (lame-o's) and say, "oh yeah, we'll I've got berries that are as big as my fist. What do you say to that?" I think it would make them think twice about their decision.
ReplyDeleteI think you are great. If I had money I would hire you to do all my UF stuff. But I know exactly exactly how you feel. Except I usually just pout about it and try to do better, but I am not nearly as inspiring about it all as you. :)
ReplyDeleteI wish I had some berries for jam lately. Looks delicious.
i don't know if this will work. i always try to comment on your blog and it won't let me for some reason. but i think you are great at design. i stared at your wedding invitation for like 45 minutes.
ReplyDeletelook at that. it finally worked! now that i got it going i also have to say those chairs you recovered for your kitchen are SO cute. you should sell them so that i can buy them.
ReplyDeleteI think you are the bestest designer there is that is in the digi world...same with candoo..I would hire you in a minute for my photog shiz..love you!
ReplyDeleteIt sucks when you feel like that! Don't doubt yourself though! I'm sure you are amazing at it! I loved reading your inspiring thoughts!
ReplyDelete